Ra’ana Liaquat Craftsmen’s Colony (RLCC) was established in 1949 by Begum Ra’ana Liaquat Ali Khan to house emigrating craftsmen from India after partition. In the early days the Colony located in what is now Shah Faisal Colony consisted of a compound with housing and workshops for the craftsmen to practice their craft. Their products were sold at the APWA Cottage Industries Shop. Homes were provided to the artisans and a maternity home was built for the residents of the colony and neighboring areas. A primary school came next, and around 1970 a separate nursery school was built that was funded by the Rotary Club of Pakistan. A vocational training centre followed in 1991.
Today, RLCC is a non-profit organization that continues to work for the empowerment of youth and women of the area through improved health, education and economic independence. Through its various programs RLCC impacts about 5,400 households covering a population of approximately 37,800 people. However, people from much beyond the catchment area access and benefit from RLCC services.
The furtherance of the social and economic well- being of low-income communities of Pakistan through:
- Promoting access to quality education and opportunities for learning for all
- Increasing access to, and enhancing the quality of primary health care services
- Increasing opportunities to improve livelihoods